Friday, October 7, 2011

Yom Kippur

Tonight was the beginning of Yom Kippur, the Jew* holiday for repenting sins, and today was the perfect foundation.

*I say "Jew" instead of "Jewish" because we are not Jew-"ish", but Jews (I picked this up on Birthright when we discussed American-Jews)


Before starting my day I meditated for the very first time. Meditation is something I have wanted to try for a long time, and now was the time. Every morning Pegs and I read her daily word, and today’s word was “Now” (I would say “ironic”, but if I have learned anything while being here it is that everything happens as it should).


After meditating, Pegs and I got into a long conversation about life and living in the present. I read a quote last night from the Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered:


"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."


This really spoke to me. Since being in Steamboat, Pegs has made a point to appreciate everyday and what it has to offer. From the changing of leaves to the drop in temperature, she just cannot get enough! Her enthusiasm for living in the present has made me realize how often I do not. Whether it is thinking about what was accomplished yesterday or that we are leaving so soon, I very seldom take the time to relish in the “now”. Like any skill, this requires practice.


My intention for the New Jew Year is to actively acknowledge the present; and in doing so, live life to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment