Sunday, October 2, 2011

House Party!

When I got home from my run in the morning, Pegs was making lemon pancakes and eggs for my dad after church.


After we finished eating, I began cooking for our dinner party. Pegs had invited everyone from our dinner last Sunday along with 9 other people; it was going to be a full house. So in order to prepare (and a primary rule of cooking), Pegs and I started early.


I was making another hummus dip for our potluck, Pegs was making another salad and told Amanda she could cook her BBQ chicken. Additionally, Amanda brought a tossed caprese salad. Betsy and Herb brought kale chips. Lori and Danny brought Antelope steak and a quinoa salad. Kathy brought a broccoli dish. Sarah and Scott brought wine and beer. And for dessert, Pegs made banana bread and I made another fruit crisp—this time adding a peach and pear with the apples from our tree.


After the salad was prepped and the crisp was done, Pegs and I took dad on a bike ride down River Road. We had only been on the road for ten minutes when it started to rain. Being very familiar with Colorado weather, and no shelter in sight, I headed back home solo. Five minutes later, the rain turned into hail. All of us laughed.


By the time Pegs and dad got home, the clouds had passed and I had started to make the hummus. Everyone arrived around 6 and stayed until 9. It was another successful Sunday night dinner… but this time a party!




Seasonal Fruit Crisp

In the past few days I have made three crisps, and I’m starting to think of myself as the “Crisp Queen.” So I felt it was appropriate to share with you how simple and delicious it is to make one!


Ingredients:

¾ C baking flour

¼ C coconut flour

1 C Oats

¾ C brown sugar

2 TBLS cinnamon

1 stick of butter

*Seasonal fruit: enough to fill a Pyrex dish half way (approx. 6-8 apples)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Measure and mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.

Next, thinly slice apples (or other desired fruit) and layer in a Pyrex dish leaving enough room for the crisp topping.

Lightly sprinkle dry ingredients onto of fruit slices. Then place in oven for 40-45 minutes. And WHA-LAA—easy peasy scrumptious crisp!!

No comments:

Post a Comment